Millions of Americans flock to private and public swimming pools once the summer season has arrived. However, there are many dangers present in and around swimming pools which can lead to accidents, injuries, and even deaths.
Children are considered the most vulnerable to catastrophic and fatal swimming pool accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger. For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency medical attention for nonfatal submersion injuries.
To enjoy an accident-free summer, follow these important swimming pool safety tips:
- Never leave children alone in or near the pool. Adults need to be within arm’s length and provide “touch supervision.”
- Make sure adults watching young children in the pool know CPR and are capable of rescuing a child in the event of an accident.
- Ensure all gates surrounding the swimming pool can self-close and self-latch at a height which children cannot reach.
- Keep rescue equipment, such as a shepherd’s hook and life preserver, near the pool.
- Have your cellphone nearby in case of an emergency.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a swimming pool accident caused by a negligent party, you may be able to recover financial compensation. With hundreds of millions of dollars won on behalf of our clients, our San Bernardino personal injury attorney at Welebir | Tierney understand what it takes to help you obtain the most favorable outcome possible.
Contact us and schedule a free consultation today.