A drive on a beautiful day can be fun, relaxing, and even adventurous. However, when conditions are less than perfect, driving can become risky.
It is very important to know what steps to take while navigating your vehicle in rainy weather. Heavy rains can quickly reduce a driver’s visibility and create slippery and hazardous road conditions.
Driving safely begins before you leave the curb.
Since the majority of the year in California is warm and dry, most Californians do not know proper safety for driving in the rain.
Driving in the rain can be a scary thing, especially at night when it is even worse due to the lights on the other vehicles around you. The following are tips to avoid getting into a car accident while it’s raining:
- Make sure your headlights are on even if it’s daylight
- Keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times
- Do not brake or accelerate too suddenly
- Keep all distractions, such as cell phones away from you
- Keep your distance – stay a minimum of 5 car lengths from the car in front of you
- Watch your speed – drive at or below the speed limit
- Watch out for hydroplaning or when your vehicle travels on top of the water and has little or no contact with the ground. Let off the gas and steer straight or slightly in the direction you must go. Don’t make any sudden motions. Remain calm!
- Avoid flooded roads
- If your windshield begins to fog, turn on the defroster
- Keep your vehicle in tip-top shape – make sure brakes are working and tires are good
- Watch for splashing from potholes
These tips will not only help keep you safe, but they will help you prevent and avoid having a motor vehicle accident. No one enjoys a car accident, but they can be particularly unpleasant when they happen in poor weather.
Beware of driving in the rain, especially at night. Or, better still, stay home when the weather is extremely bad, causing the freeways and roads to be dangerous. Remember, motorcycles or dark-colored vehicles can be camouflaged amongst glistening raindrops on side windows and mirrors.
If you have been involved in a car accident because of another person’s negligent actions, the personal injury attorneys at the San Bernardino law offices of Welebir Law can help you. Contact our office today to find out more about your options and how to get started on your case.