All across the United States parents send their children off to school in the morning with the expectation that they will be in a safe and secure learning environment for the day.
However, in light of recent events, including shootings at various schools, that expectation has come into question.
School is also a time when children are at increased risk of transportation-related injuries from pedestrian, bicycle, school bus, and motor vehicle accidents. During winter months, with shorter daylight hours, it is especially difficult to see young pedestrians and bicyclists.
It’s time for everyone concerned, motorists, parents, teachers, and students, to improve their traffic safety practices. The following tips can help make your child’s school safe and sound for the whole community:
- When around the school area, slow down and proceed with caution – obey all traffic laws and speed limits
- Be alert and ready to stop – always stop for a school bus that has stopped to load or unload passengers – look for the red flashing lights
- Watch for young people who may be in a hurry
- Teach your children safety rules for walking, bicycling, or riding in a passenger car or school bus
- Supervise young children as they walk or bike to school
- Be a good role model for your children – always buckle up in the car, wear a helmet when biking and always follow pedestrian safety rules
- Always buckle up when you’re riding in a vehicle
- Always wear a helmet and follow traffic safety rules when riding your bike
- If you ride the school bus, practice safety rules and be courteous to your fellow passengers
School zones often have reduced speed limits to protect children who may be crossing the street; they may also have school crossing guards to assist children.
If your child was injured while crossing the sidewalk or any other way, he or she may be entitled to compensation for his or her injuries, expenses and pain and suffering.
At the law offices of Welebir Law personal injury & accident attorneys we will aggressively represent your child our client to ensure the right of your child are protected. You can trust our legal team, giving you time to care for your injured child.
Contact the top rated personal injury attorneys Welebir Law APLC located in San Bernardino. Our attorneys will investigate the circumstances of the accident to determine whether the driver could have or should have avoided the accident.