Bicycles are a popular method of transportation in Southern California, with many riders opting to cycle to escape traffic or to enjoy the nice weather in the fall, spring and summer.
Bicycle accidents put everyone at risk. When one happens, the bicycle rider may suffer many different types of injuries due to the impact of the car crash. Injuries can be severe because it is common for the bicycle rider to be thrown from his or her bike.
Bicycle accidents can happen anywhere, but often happen outside of an intersection. Reasons for these accidents include:
- Drivers coming too close to bicycle riders – failing to respect their space on the road
- Drivers failing to yield the right-of-way to a bike rider
- Drivers underestimating the speed of a bike rider
- Drivers losing control of their vehicles
- Drivers unable to stop in time to avoid hitting the bike
- Drivers who are drowsy, driving under the influence or distracted
- Bicycle riders who fail to yield or who cross the road when they shouldn’t
While bike riders can sometimes be at fault causing the car accident, in many cases accidents happen because drivers don’t understand how to safely share the road with a bike rider.
Some of the common injuries that a bike rider may sustain include:
- Cuts and bruises
- Broken bones
- Road burn
- Injuries to head, back or neck
- Traumatic brain injury and/or permanent brain damage
- Soft tissue injury
- Spinal injuries including paralysis
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a bicycle accident, you have legal rights. Anexperienced personal injury attorney from the law offices of Welebir Law in San Bernardino can evaluate your case and help you to determine if someone was responsible for causing your bicycle accident.
If another driver was to blame, you can obtain compensation for medical costs, lost wages, emotional distress, pain and suffering and other accident-related expenses. He or she is required by law to “make you whole.”
Speak to one of our attorneys, consultation is free. Visit us online to get more information about our practice.