We all want to keep our children safe and secure. Knowing how to prevent leading causes of child injury, such as motor vehicle accidents, is a step towards this goal.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 150 children between the ages of infant and 19 years old are treated in emergency rooms every hour for injuries sustained in motor vehicle accidents. It’s sad to say, but more children in this age range die from crash-related injuries than from any other type of injury.
Statistics show that children are more susceptible to injuries than adults. They are smaller and more fragile, and can be thrown around in a vehicle during a collision.
The most common causes of child injuries in car accidents include, but are not limited to:
- Improper installation and use of seat belts
- Improper installation and use of safety seats
- Air bags – children who are placed too close to airbags, such as sitting on the driver’s lap
- Children who sit in a pickup truck’s cargo area
Depending on the age and size of your child, there is a number of safety equipment to safely transport your child in a motor vehicle, such as:
- A federally-approved infant safety seat should be used for children under 1 years old; it should face the rear
- A child aged 1-4 can sit in a convertible seat that faces the front if the vehicle has a harness strap to secure the child in place
- After the convertible seat, the child should be placed in a booster seat
- Once the child outgrows the booster seat, a regular seat belt should be able to fit him or her better.
Keep in mind – caution goes a long way in preventing child injuries due to motor vehicle accidents.
If you or a family member has been seriously injured, the San Bernardino personal injury attorneys at the law offices of Welebir Tierney & Weck offer our heartfelt support. You may have many questions, and we will take all the time you need to answer your questions and put your mind at ease.
Call us today 909-335-0444, or visit us online and send us a message, we want to help you after your life has been turned upside down by someone else’s carelessness.